This is a delicious CHERRY SCONES recipe. It’s very easy, just follow the instructions bellow.
- 1 cup of Fresh Cherries, pitted and frozen
- 2-1/2 cups Oat Flour (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup of Fine Grind Cornmeal (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- ½ cup of walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup of agave nectar (or 1/3 cup of sugar)
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Cut cherries in half and pit them (or use a cherry pitter). Place the cherries in a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours prior to baking the scones. This ensures the cherries don’t pop in the dough while they’re baking.
- In a KitchenAid (with the wire whisk attachment) or food processor, add the oat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Mix or pulse to combine dry ingredients. In a bowl, combine the applesauce, yogurt, vanilla extract and agave nectar. Stir to combine Very slowly pour the wet ingredients into the mixer with the dry ingredients about a quarter of a cup of at a time (similar idea to making pie crust), mixing on medium speed. Once all the wet ingredients are combined with the dry, add chopped walnuts and mix until integrated into the dough. Taking the dough in your hands, form it into a disc shape. Refrigerate in a sealable container or plastic wrap for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Using a bread knife, cut the dough in half horizontally like you would a bun. Place half of the frozen cherries on one of the dough halves then place the other half of the dough on top. Press the dough halves together to seal the cherries in. Press the remaining frozen cherries into the top of the dough. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonals into the dough in order to create eight triangles. Arrange on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (be sure to give the triangles enough space to bake evenly). Bake for 23 minutes or until the tops of the scones are golden brown. Serve with butter, jam, honey, or nutella.