A Delicious Chai Pani’s Malabar Chicken Curry Easy Recipe
This is a tasty Chai Pani’s Malabar Chicken Curry recipe that includes Pani’s,Malabar. On this page you’ll find the ingredients for this Indian,Asian cusine recipe and cooking instructions. This recipe serves 4 persons (4.0 servings).
Let’s start cooking!
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 smalls dried red chiles (cayenne, bird)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (leaves and/or stems)
- 15 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 cups chopped red onion (2 large onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil+ 1 Tb
- Pour ½ cup oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and red chiles.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add the ginger and onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the onions to brown until they are dark and soft enough the smash with a spatula—about 25-30 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, coriander, turmeric, and cilantro—mix together.
- Raise the heat back to medium and add the tomatoes, salt, and lime juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have disintegrated and the oil separates out—15-20 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and 1 cup coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 Tb. of oil over high. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides, leaving the centers pink—2-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the curry and simmer 5-7 minutes until the chicken has cooked through. Serve over basmati rice.
SERVES/YIELD: 4.0 servings