Delicious Chai Pani’s Malabar Chicken Curry Easy Recipe
This is a tasty Chai Pani’s Malabar Chicken Curry recipe that includes chicken, curry, spices and Malabar. On this page you’ll find the ingredients for this Indian,Asian cusine recipe and cooking instructions. This recipe serves 4 persons (4.0 servings).
Let’s start cooking!
- 2 pounds of chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 smalls dried red chiles (cayenne, bird)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro (leaves and/or stems)
- 15 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon. ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 4 cups chopped red onion (2 large onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil+ 1 Tb
- Pour ½ cup of oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and red chiles.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add the ginger and onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the onions to brown until they are dark and soft enough the smash with a spatula – about 25-30 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, coriander, turmeric, and cilantro – mix together.
- Raise the heat back to medium and add the tomatoes, salt, and lime juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have disintegrated and the oil separates out – 15-20 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of of water and 1 cup of coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 Tb. of oil over high. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides, leaving the centers pink – 2-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the curry and simmer 5-7 minutes until the chicken has cooked through. Serve over basmati rice.
SERVES/YIELD: 4 servings
Download: Chai Pani’s Malabar Chicken Curry